Block the Bridge – Block the bill
Join Unite and UK Uncut on Sunday 9 October from 1pm on Westminster Bridge, SW1 and help block the bill. On 11 October the government’s blueprint to destroy the NHS – the Health and Social Care bill – moves to the House of Lords – this is the chance to convince the Lords to vote down the bill. On 9 October, just days before the Lords start to debate the bill, join the mass demonstration on Westminster Bridge. See you there.
On one side of Westminster Bridge is parliament and on the opposite side is St Thomas’ Hospital, one of Britain’s oldest medical institutions. If the bill passes, hospitals like St Thomas’ will be sold to private corporations, the staff put on private payrolls and beds given over to private patients. This bill represents the wholesale privatisation of the NHS and, with it, the destruction of the dream of comprehensive healthcare provided equally to all.
By blocking Westminster Bridge the aim is to symbolically block the bill from getting from Parliament to our hospitals. Yes, it will be disruptive. Yes, it will stop the traffic. But it is an emergency and everybody must shout as loud as they can.
Join the mass demo on Westminster Bridge to save the NHS – Sunday 9 October, 13:00 onwards
Get to the middle of Westminster Bridge shortly before 13:00. When Big Ben strikes one, pick one of the tactics below and help block the bridge:
- Bring some fake blood and play dead
- Bring hospital radio to the bridge with some music and comedy
- Bring a nurse for a resuscitation skill-share
- Dress up in scrubs and perform an operation
- Enjoy a picnic overlooking parliament
- Share stories about the NHS
- Invite a friend from across the pond to describe the reality of a privatised healthcare system
- Invite older generations to describe a time before universal healthcare
Free coaches are also available: If you think you can fill a coach from your city, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Block the Bill including your name and number.