Following a series of successful demonstrations called by the Radical Indepence Campaign and others and meetings by left wing groups such as the Scottish Socialist Party and RISE, a Catalan Defence Committee Scotland has been formed to organise solidarity action across Scotland in support of self determination for Catalonia.
Below is the appeal for formation of the organisation and the initial list of sponsors. Socialist Resistance fully supports this initiative and we urge our readers in Scotland and beyond to do likewise.
The behaviour of the Spanish state is an outrage to all democrats across Europe. The peaceful and courageous action of millions of Catalans has been an inspiration. But this movement requires international support…
The brutality and repression that has been visited upon the people of Catalonia cannot be allowed to continue, or to be legitimised. Hundreds of Scots have travelled to Catalonia to act as international observers, and to let the Spanish state know that the world is watching. At home, we have organised several demonstrations. News and pictures of these have circulated on Catalan social media, and we know that this has made a positive impact.
But we need to do more. Catalan human rights organisations and social movements have called for international support. That is why we are organising the Catalan Defence Committee Scotland, to help maximise our solidarity efforts. The name mirrors the local referendum defence committees set up by Catalans to defend the referendum process by practising non-violent mass action.
• That the Catalan people have the right to self-determination.
• That the Catalan people are to be congratulated for the popular mobilisation, including protests, strike action, and occupations, that they have undertaken.
• That the deep repressive reflexes of the Spanish state are in part a reflection of its Francoist heritage.
• Call for solidarity demonstrations and actions
• Build diplomatic pressure on the UK government
• Organise motions and letters of support that can be passed through trade union branches, campaigns, political parties and so on.
• Work to twin Scottish towns and cities with Catalonia
• Lobby MSPs and the Scottish Government to do all it can to support the civil rights of Catalans
• Build links with social movements and organisations in Catalonia
• Organise a tour of public meetings across Scotland to raise support and awareness
• Facilitate open organising meetings to develop local defense committees/solidarity actions.
Initial signatories…add your name today here:
Bob Thompson Former Chairperson Scottish Labour
Aamer Anwar Glasgow University Rector
Alan Bissett Playwrite
Lesley Riddoch Writer and Broadcaster
Stuart Fairweather Chair Dundee Trades Council
George Kerevan Former SNP MP
Deborah Keyembe Human Rights Lawyer
Maggie Chapman Co-convener Scottish Green Party
Sean Baillie RISE National Organiser
Cat Boyd Columnist for The National
Jonathon Shafi Co-Founder Radical Independence Campaign
Jim Bollan Community Party Councillor
Luke Stobart Guardian writer and researcher on Catalan politics
Suki Sangha Vice Chair Unite the Union BAEM Scotland Committee (pc)
Mike Small Editor Bella Caledonia
Aina Tella CUP International Relations
Sean Paul O’Connor President Dundee Students Union
Tam Wilson President Abertay Students Union
Chris Stephens SNP MP
Aida Vallespi Catalan student at Glasgow University
Kevin McVey SSP International Secretary
Connor Beaton SSP National Secretary
Stephen Smellie Deputy Convenor Unison Scotland (pc)
Sarah Glynn Scottish Unemployed Workers Network
Jim Cloughy Upper Clyde Shipyard work-in veteran
Dr Eurig Scandrett University College Union (pc)
Richard Whyte Unite Regional Officer (pc)
Sean McLaughlin Chair Unite Youth Committee (pc)
Cathy Miligan Castlemilk Against Austerity
Stuart Graham Convenor Glasgow Unison Social Work (pc)
Gordon Martin RMT Scottish Organiser (pc)
Democratic Left Scotland
Radical Independence Campaign