Private companies are moving in everywhere. They are helped along by Tory government legislation, and unfortunately they also work in cahoots with even local Labour councils. They build and regenerate, so councillors can brag about providing thousands of homes.
But very few, if any homes, go to those on housing waiting lists; and to buy or rent you have to be on up to £90k. “Affordable” means “Unaffordable” for most people in this borough. These developments are aimed purely at making big profits for shareholders.
Capital and Regional, the company who own our shopping mall, and Anvil a construction company, propose to regenerate the market area, creating 500 of these unaffordable homes.
In the process they will also –
* Grab a third of our Square – which is publicly owned
* Construct huge towers along the side – one of which, at 29 stories, is higher than Centre Point
* Chop down the mature trees in and around the Square (around 80)
Move the Children’s Playground nearer to the fumes of the bus station
* KEEP OUT PRIVATE PROFITEERS
* STOP THE DESTRUCTION OF OUR SQUARE
* MASS COUNCIL HOUSE BUILDING AND SOCIAL RENTS
* PRIVATE RENT CONTROL
* MARKET CHANGES SUBJECT TO A BOROUGH-WIDE BALLOT
Join Mass Protest
* Open Mic – Have your Say
* Bring Placards, Banners, Whistles
* Young people, it’s your future
* Families in housing need, kick up a fuss
* Trade unionists, organise your workplaces to come
* Anti-cuts campaigners, it’s all part of the same fight
* Choirs, or dance troupes, come along and perform
* Kids, bring skipping ropes, games, chalks